PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi Crew in Single Pilot Helicopters...
Old 7th Jan 2014, 08:39
Aucky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danger

I'm surprised at the opposition to the potential safety benefits of operating 2 crew in helicopters onshore, especially if both pilots are current and type rated. It needs to be performed correctly - a clear division of roles for PF and PNF, but in my view it enhances safety and increases pilots available capacity. PNF looks after radios, navigation, plates, frequencies, most 'eyes in' functions, emergency checklists and provide an extra set of eyes and ears, leaving PF to maintain a good lookout and fly aircraft with max spare capacity. Surely a good thing, especially when in more challenging conditions like deteriorating weather, inadvertent IMC, busy airspace, low level or areas of high traffic density.

Additionally, for the career development of pilots (of which there is limited 2nd pilot work onshore) it is a valuable way for pilots to become familiar with new aircraft types & operating procedures under the supervision of a more experienced captain whilst still being able to help with tasks that they are very comfortable and familiar with. Of course they cannot log the time unless Multi-crew requirements have been met but if roles are specified, briefed and legal, I believe 2nd pilots can be very valuable especially when workloads increase.