PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAK AIRWAYS info
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2014, 05:41
Gulfstreamaviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the name check R3.

Time for the Post flight analysis.

When RAK airways was first proposed the brief was to establish a regional carrier to transport the guests to the evolving tourist destination of RAK.
This was the stated desire of the then Crown Prince.
The initial AOC was Hamra Air, and I believe based on an Aztec.

As mentioned many times in this thread, the initial management, many of whom I still count as friends, were recruited from the West to establish and maintain the standards that the share holders as well as passengers could desire.

Then a certain Major Businessman in RAK, proposed that these aircraft should be used to ferry his workforce from the Indian Sub Continent to RAK.

For some reason it was also decided that the initial type of aircraft was unsuitable (range, or whatever.) So initial deposits lost.

The CEO then had a major fall out, as he disagreed with the dumbing down of the company positioning.

There were several third party charters using RAK airport as a staging post, dropping off tourists.

Enter new CEO, lease of airframes, so operations could be started.
The MB as mentioned above, decided that the passengers for his business were the profit centre for RAK Airways.

Did the shareholders become blinded by the smooth talk from MB, only time will tell.

Another CEO, another change of office location, change of crew accommodation, and all extra costs...... except that I suspect the MB had interests in the "exact location" of these facilities.

The bulk of the original highly experienced and professional staff had now been culled, so to leave the way clear for friends and family, and YES men to be post holders.

There are still many stories about miss-management to be told.

Who was actually responsible for the hiring strategy of CEO, research into the local news papers will show. ( I am not going there).

As each CEO had his own ideas as to what makes good business models, the fleet changed, the middle management replaced, and more money wasted on implementing policies and relocation of facilities.

I know several people who were employed by RAK Airways. One started almost on day one. Her duties after the 1st year were totally to ensure that her various bosses were not seen to be incompetent, and she used HER skills and knowledge to run HIS department.
She resigned 4 months ago to a post at another carrier in the region.

What lessons can be learned: I would suggest to BIG Cheeses: Employ professionals, treat them with respect, trust them to make professional decisions that are to the benefit of the LONG term aims of the Big Cheese.
Stay away from the day to day operations, even week to wee operations. Your job is to look at the big picture, plan for 5 years.

What have Air Arabia done to enable them to have the position in the market place that they hold........

Edit: I have the greatest respect for HH, his visions for RAK were always considered and for the best future of the Emirate.
I have had many open and frank chats with him, each time he demonstrated is desire to promote RAK, and ensure the future for his citizens.
Should RAK Airways rise again, I just hope that he is guided by professionals.
Unless the proposed deal with Air Arabia resurfaces. Then who knows just what might develop.

Glf

Last edited by Gulfstreamaviator; 7th Jan 2014 at 05:55.