PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New US Rest and Duty Regulations
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2014, 01:47
RobertS975

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quidquid excusatio prandium pro... went to google it, bugg smasher, and lo and behold, your name came up #4 or #5 on the list! I am a non-professional commercial license pilot, flying amphibians in New England since 1975. I am also a physician, and throughout my medical career, I have preached that we in that profession should approach what we do the way that airline pilots approach their profession. Airline travel in the western world has indeed approached near perfection. It is a tribute to the pilots as well as many others, including the aircraft manufacturers and so forth.

I do not agree that the traveling public brought this on themselves. They had little to do with it. When something eggregious happens in my hospital, you can bet there will be another policy to deal with it even if the previous policies should have prevented the incident. That is what happened here.

I believe that many of the flight cancellations during this round of winter storms in the US have been prompted by these new regs. Not sure, but I think that in part B6 canceled everything for tonight into tomorrow into and out of BOS, LGA and JFK was in part to reset everyone's crew rest situation!

Edited to add from the Jet Blue website:

"Delays and cancelations during this week's winter storm placed planes and crews away from their previously scheduled routes. While our team has been working to repair schedules by bringing crews and planes back "into position" and resume normal operations, further cancellations are still occurring as crews exceed their allowed duty times." (my emphasis)

Last edited by RobertS975; 7th Jan 2014 at 02:31.