PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lithium Metal Fire over remote area
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2014, 18:06
Omega 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input.

I understand it will ultimately be a captain's decision, but that's my point, of the risk management of ditching or not. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, that's why I'm trying to collect points of view. I 100% agree that regardless of confirmation or not, with a fire alarm you should land ASAP.

The point of "Land Immediately" is how immediate is that in regards to remote areas. Boeing QRH for example stays on that whole "land at the nearest suitable airport" area. Should you go for that "17 minute window"? What if UPS Flt 6 at Dubai (or Asiana Flt 991) had ditched right below them instead of trying to go for the airport? (playing Devil's Advocate here). At least they had a confirmed fire. However, If you look at avherald for example you will see a couple of false fire alarms. Perhaps it's time to have some sort of alternate confirmation method for fire (for example, a camera in the cargo hold?)

So the point is, would you attempt ditching or landing in a small field while flying over a remote area (let's say Africa, Greenland or something), even without a confirmation of the actual fire? Again, not discussing the "landing ASAP" when there are airports around you, but risking a possible life/hull loss in remote areas.

Not a right or wrong question here, just looking for different lines of thoughts.