PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenger crash at KASE
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2014, 17:03
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing needs be remember about Aspen operations, nothing is normal, except airspeeds, re. V-speeds for takeoff and landing.

One can have a reported 1,000/2,000 foot overcast with five miles visiblity and never be in IMC from orginal descent from cruise altitude to touch down.

On departure you can have an obscured ceiling of less than 300 feet with a mile visiblity and can make the depatrure and have good visilibity for the takoff and the climb out. They have been a lot of times when we 91 operators can leave ASE, and the 135 and fractional guys and gals could not because of the reported weather. The folks in the tower try to work with them, but there is only so much they can do. In my experience, which is considerable in Aspen, the ATC controllers there are exceptional.

I have neve made a landing at Aspen with less than full flaps for landing, regardless of the aircraft I'm flying, nor the conditions. Maybe Challengers are different, never flew one.

I still don't understand how on Earth, Aspen did not make the list of the most dangerous airports in the world.