PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2014, 16:34
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
training one’s own crew members does not result in direct income … it only costs.
Originally Posted by twochai
What nonsense! "If you can't afford safety, just try an accident".
We hear that a lot … but the fact of the matter is simply that if an airline suffers an accident but is adequately insured, and they can even muddy the waters to the extent that it “looks” like they’ve complied with all the “requirements” - OR - if they can show that they've met all the regulatory requirements, there is a better-than-even chance that it will be the INSURANCE COMPANY that picks up the so-called costs – and in some cases, the airline actually makes money(!) … besides, the “absence of cost” is not immediately recognized as “income” no matter what the details happen to be.

220mph – you’ve pretty well outlined the levels (plural) of frustration that most feel when actually looking and, specifically, understanding the problems (again, plural) that we face on a regular basis. The point I’ve been making is that whatever the ultimate solutions are determined to be … unless either the owners/managers of each airline voluntarily go along with those solutions (and you tell me the chances of that happening) …OR … the regulatory authority understands the problems and the issues … and makes the decided-upon solutions part of the minimum, regulatory requirements … those solutions are not likely to be incorporated into very many, if any, airline training programs.

Originally Posted by RAT 5
In the hope that the XAA's and the training departments take the initiative in this matter, before more smoking holes, we could be seeing "Back to the Future 3." Let's hope so.
From your lips to God’s ear! … but if I were a betting person … I wouldn’t be putting my money on the “airline training departments” without the swift kick in the posterior that a regulatory requirement would deliver.