PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can we put the myth that singles are as safe as twins to bed now?
Old 6th Jan 2014, 16:05
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John

Not true most piston twins fly very happily on one engine level! In my stupid days (nothing much changed We shut a Seneca engine down after leaving bournemouth an flew it all the way to france in such a state only restarting to land in france.

If you mean at 200 feet in the climb? yes you have a point but then pull both back and take to a field! At 400 FEET don't even attempt a blue line climb but go for level flight and once nicely trimmed and stable in level flight fly a low level circuit and land or gently step climb using the trim.

The seneca cruises at 128 its one engine out and feathered step climb till you get back to 100 kTS (10 above blue) and hold altitude again until speed builds.
ok if weight is good go for blue line and climb away.

But consider all the options and choose the right one which maybe taking to a field.
How many times in the multi engine rating do pilots practice PFLs as in singles my guess NONE! No wonder pilots fixate on climb at all costs and often at a high cost!!!
Seneca approach speed 80kts Saratoga approach speed (single) 80 KTS other than more weight but beefier brakes whats the difference between landing a Saratoga and Seneca in a field ?

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 6th Jan 2014 at 16:20.