PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA PPL Conversion
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2014, 15:24
alland2012

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For clarity regarding the issue of a US drivers licence to a foreign national and any future changes in the requirement of a class 3 medical for flying.

Getting a licence is not has straight forward as you think, years ago regardless of what country you belonged to, you simply walked into a local driver test centre completed the written part followed by a quick run out in the car up and down a couple of the nearby streets and walked out clutching your shiny new state issued licence. Been there done it and when it expired I tried to renew and was turned away. If you don't have a residents visa in your passport you don't get a driver licence issued,

My wife and I own a vacation home in Florida and as we are over there 4 times a year for 6 weeks at a time we own a car there rather than pay out for hire cars each trip, because we hold British drivers licences our US motor insurance premium is almost double that of a US driver licence holder, I have tried all ways to get around the issue and get a US licence but keep hitting a brick wall.

I have a FAA PPL, Own property there, pay my state property taxes,allowed a bank account, and can out drive most of the local immigrants who are let loose on the roads and granted US licences, but it amounts to nothing, no residents visa no licence !