PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Scholarships
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2014, 13:05
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slipsider,

Perhaps read before you post??

I said (quite clearly) if you pass the med standards you can get a licence. Of course there are people with disabilities flying aircraft - including professionally.

They will have passed the necessary medical, despite their disability, whatever it is.

to clarify...

Some people have disabilities, but can through a full medical (pretty rare IMO)
Some people have disabilities, but can get through the relaxed standards required by NPPL (still pretty rare IMO)
Most people with disabilities will not experience PIC.

Personally I have administered two cases for NPPL solo flight.

diabetes - they flew solo
Aspergers - they did not fly solo. Mainly because no doctor would sign them off.

The thrust of OPs post was that there are proportionally more disabled flying scholarships that able bodied ones and also that being disabled automatically bars one from a professional career as a pilot. Both statements are wrong.

Not quite. To get a PPL an EASA Class 2 medical is required. If you wanted to progress down the commercial route this would need to be upgraded to a Class 1, which has numerous restrictions regarding disabilities.
concur...which is exactly why I used to advise getting the full medical done upfront, before parting with the wonga for anybody who was going down the career route.

QED