PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting Airfields in Southern California
Old 6th Jan 2014, 02:57
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Santa Paula!
Great idea! (my "home 'drome" at one time)

But Astra driver already called it earlier.

So here's another: Harris Ranch (3O8)

If you can see the I-5 as you pass Coalinga, you find Harris Ranch. And bring your appetite for steak! 10% discount for pilots.

I remember taking a friend of mine flying in a Duchess (BE-76) as part of my plan to build some multi time. First I repositioned from HHR to SMO to pick up the friend, then we went to Mojave to look at the parked planes and check out the pictures lining the walls of the terminal until security ran us off. I remember being mildly disappointed when I landed a little off centerline. Oh well, next stop Harris for lunch. I guess the 30' runway width focused my attention properly this time. From the left seat of the mighty Duchess, it looked to me like the props were hanging over the edge of the runway! They weren't of course, but both wingtips were. Well with that, some self-serve fuel in the tanks and a juicy steak in my belly, the flight back to Hawthorne via Santa Monica was pleasant indeed. Another day in the air and 3 point something more in the logbook in furtherance of attaining a full-time flying job. Those were exciting times...

westhawk