PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can we put the myth that singles are as safe as twins to bed now?
Old 5th Jan 2014, 16:10
Big Pistons Forever

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
I think it is pointless to make the single vs twin a binary argument as in one is safer than the other. There are just too many factors that apply

The only relevant fact on this issue that IMO matters is the fact that the second engine only increases safety if the pilot has the skill and knowledge to deal with the engine failure scenario in any part of a flight.

My personal observation is that maintaining true proficiency requires a significant investment in training and practice and that the majority of private twin owners are not willing to make the commitment.

Originally Posted by Pace
Ok a twin is a real aeroplane and a single a toy for nice days unless its a TBM 850 or Pilatus PC12

Pace
The TBM850/Pilatus PC12 are extremely efficient and capable airplanes which can beat the pants off any T-prop twin....until the pilot light in the engine goes out

I bet every one of those PC 12/TBM pilots who have had the engine fail sure wished they were in a King Air.

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 5th Jan 2014 at 22:50.