PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines who ask pilots to pay to fly !
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2014, 12:12
Journey Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sprinkles

I countered your argument that people paying to work are not to blame. I've stated that I disagree and in my opinion they share some of the blame.That's not finger pointing, it's disagreeing. Frankly, at this point we may as well leave the whole thing to the historians as the horse has well and truly bolted.

I don't understand your desire to assign 'percentages of blame'. Any attempt to weight such an assessment would be so heavily biased by personal experience. It's completely puerile.

As for my comment regarding turboprop pilots; what education do you deem suitable? Eight years flying piston twins and turboprops, plus the shared experience of pilots from three other turboprop airlines at my base? Whilst I freely admit this is neither an exhaustive or definitive sample, my opinion cannot be 'incorrect' as it's the everyday reality ofa vast number of my colleagues. Whilst I wish it were so easy to glibly dismiss this entire situation as 'uneducated and incorrect' it is reality for a great many of my colleagues. In the interest of transparency, how much experience of being a turboprop captain, trying to get your break, do you have Sprinkles?

Lifeafteraviation,

Again, I entirely agree with you. Regarding remuneration; initially it will pay more than a loan repayment although not much. In the long run, in my opinion it doesn't. But it's purely my opinion and I base it on my own experience from my piston/TP years in aviation: first three years averaged $11k net pa (free accommodation) as a piston twin skipper; next three years $16.5k net pa as a TP F/O; next two years £32k net pa as a multicrew TP skipper.