PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Training Command Losses 1970s
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2014, 22:28
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
I only did a little flying at RAF Leeming during refresher courses. All on the Jet Provost Mk5 or Mk5A.

All 6 runways were available; however, RW 13/31 was only used when a peculiar local met phenomenon existed. I think it was known as the 'Wensleydale jet'? Basically, when the wind was in a particular direction off the Dales, it would be funnelled into a strong surface wind more or less straight down this very short RW.

Compared to the JP4 or JP5, the JP3 wasn't exactly blessed with power; as Danny rightly says, in a strong headwind the acceleration along the RW would have seemed very slow although the actual speed through the air would have been quite normal.

Throttle response of the Viper engine was also pretty woeful, so if the throttle was closed and then re-opened, it would have taken some 9 (?) seconds for full thrust to be restored from idle.

The RW would have been suitable for a qualified Jet Provost pilot used to such conditions; however, whether it was sensible to authorise solo student flying in such conditions, I cannot say.

June, I hope that this thread has allowed you some closure after all these years.