PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA?
Thread: BA?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2014, 21:24
Widebdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Artie there are people leaving BA for emirates. That is a fact. I want to be in the UK. Not everyone does. I can understand why.
Really? Why leave British Airways for Emirates. To attain a quicker long haul command?

That's because it's the way BA want it. They have been granting a great deal of Short Term Unpaid Leave. (the key word being 'unpaid'!) in order to save money. should they wish to increase the number of available pilots, one assumes they will simply cancel this arrangement.
Voluntary or forced unpaid? If Senior Pilots are taking voluntary unpaid leave for their own convenience it might be cheaper for the company to continue to allow them and bring in cheaper junior pilots?

Up to (and including) 2016, out of a workforce of 3700-3800, only twenty six pilots will hit 65. In BA, virtually nobody retires voluntarily before then. Please feel free to draw your own conclusions!...(text cut)... Bear in mind also that the average age of BA's most senior 1000 captains is currently less than 52.
I have read figures close to 200 pilots are being taken via the future pilot program, if correct I would regard 200 as quite a lot and it should cover most of the requirements for an airline not expanding with nobody retiring. Is that a fair assessment or will there be opportunities?

Any more news or rumours regarding recruitment?