PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines who ask pilots to pay to fly !
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2014, 19:01
Sprinkles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flieng, if you're going to proportion blame you really need to do it based on contribution.

As cadets contribute nothing to the T&Cs they are offered, I cannot see how they can be blamed any more than 1% for what gets put in front of them. As you say:

Airlines and Training organisations put a lot of pilots in an almost impossible position
You may argue that as they accept such conditions they should be 100% accountable. It's a fair point but consider your opinion I've quoted above.

In response to my original question regarding "what would you do?"
I proposed a hypothetical situation for you in which it gave you the opportunity to play devils advocate. I wasn't interested in your personal finances or how good your relationships with your family were. Unsurprisingly you avoided to answer what I was trying to get at. I presume your are either too proud to admit on a public forum you would follow the same training path so many are currently doing, or you simply missed my point. After all you did say...... See quote above! (Again)

Imagine you're 30 years younger and just finished training with a fresh licence in your hand.

In reply to your foolish comment I'm think that is rather offensive. I started training and things changed mid course. As I've said before nothing would have given me greater pleasure to tell CTC to stick it when told I'd have to pay if I wanted to go to eJ! But I took a calculated gamble. If my decision was so foolish why is it now that I'm on a very competitive salary with another airline, living a very enviable lifestyle? A little over two years after I started flying the big stuff. I was lucky but it proves my choice didn't turn out to be foolish at all, far from it in fact. I'm not the only one either.

eJ have also introduced a New Entrant Contract. It may not be as good as it what it used to be but it's an improvement. It provides a structured career path that is very attractive to some. I'm sure many cadets starting their training will be happy with what's on offer. I wasn't, which is why I left. But that's irrelevant to the topic in hand.

Unfortunately expectations have changed and it is now less frowned upon to self fund the type rating. In fact your job opportunities in some airlines may not be great if you don't. I don't agree with this personally but until you change expectations, you will not change behaviour.

We agree changing cadets mentality will be a fruitless exercise. Thus the only way to bring this to an end is to stop the practice altogether or make it illegal.

employers were more honourable and reputable.
Here lies the true problem. They (LoCos predominately) are not anymore. And who can blame them as there's no restriction to what they can do. They're a business and will do what they can within their powers to compete.

Again only governments and the regulatory authority will have the power to forbid self funded type ratings. I think I'll be retired before that happens.

Good night!