PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2014, 17:54
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another poster pointed out the amendment was Made 19 Dec 2013, Registered 24 Dec 203, and then Repealed/Ceased 26 Dec2013. Reason; Repealed under Division 1 of Part 5A of the Legislative Instruments Act 2003.
CAO 48.1 Instrument 2013 is still law until the disallowance debate is resolved
One of the reasons for raising the subject is the quoted above; which may prevent the follow through, as quoted below.

"[what] we really need is for everyone who believes the new CAO 48 rules could be improved to get off their arses and have their say" –
I agree,

"[the] Senate needs a sound basis to disallow and the more sectors that offer amendments and the greater the commonality the stronger the case."
Again, I agree but where do you imagine the folk who get off their arses go to say their say; and, who will do the saying??

VIPA – "Should these regulations be subject to a disallowance as we expect, it may give the industry and proponents like Senator Nick Xenophon further avenue to push for meaningful changes to the new FDP rule set. VIPA FSTRC has committed to getting a seat at the table of future Notices of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) Working Groups facilitated by CASA. (My bold).
Lets assume we can generate enough industry scientifically supported objections: where and to whom should they be addressed ? – the Truss WLR perhaps and hope that review will sort out the issues. Or, perhaps convince a couple of parliamentary types to debate whether CAO 48 is a crock or not. Or, perhaps expect Sen. NX to do a virtuoso solo performance with a magic wand and make it all go away? Of the thin selection of choices available, NX is probably the best bet. Much will depend not only on the bi-partisan determination of his colleagues but also on the quality of information supplied by industry. Remember, the 'debate' must be convinced that the responsible government agency, quoting ICAO with operator support has got it all wrong, and made bollocks of the whole thing. The NZ CAR make a strong argument for the Ayes.

If 'industry' is not aware that the necessary debate to repeal the CAO has not occurred, let alone done and dusted, we may just be saddled with more 'bad law'. And that, Prince Nick, is the problem as I see it and my reason for posting. Happy to stand corrected.

Perhaps Creampuff, Leadsled or Sunny have some suggestions. Seeing the problem is not quite the same thing as knowing how to fix it. That puzzle just makes my poor old wooden head hurt.