PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines who ask pilots to pay to fly !
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2014, 13:12
Sprinkles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Journey man I think you need to be a bit more thorough in what you read. I said very little choice, not no choice. There's a subtle, but big difference.

When I started training the likes of eJ "employed" cadets and bonded them. AFAIK, no up front cost for the type rating was required. Half way through training things changed. Do you blame me personally for "choosing" to pay a portion of my type rating and be bonded with CTC for the remainder? Even though I've since departed.

Here were the other two choices:
Tell em to stick it and wait for another airline to come along and pay for everything. I wanted to believe me! Unfortunately I left my crystal ball with the locals in Matamata!
Go work at Tescos and live off minimum wage.

Now things have changed since I started and cadets starting now should be well versed in the current employment tactics. This should be a huge factor in their decision to pursue this career. Certainly when it comes to budgeting the cost of training. If they do choose to pursue this as a career, who are we to blame them or make them feel guilty by wanting to actually do something they enjoy? Everybody has the right to enjoy their chosen career.

Pilots who did not pay-to-fly are no more responsible than anyone else. After all we're all trying to achieve a common objective. To get the A/C from A-to-B safely, efficiently and be remunerated accordingly. That's why we do this is it not?

I also find your choice of words inappropriate. Current pilots in the turbo prop world have never been "relegated". To say they are implies they were once flying big shiny turbo fan counter parts and they have since been made redundant in place of cheaper, less experienced cadets. Some UK airlines still employ guys from this sector so pay-to-fly is not the only way in. Granted in lesser numbers and perhaps this needs to be evened out. But it is still unfair the blame any new CPL/IR holders for this mess. Irrespective of whether they knew the "risks" prior to them starting. The airlines and training schools are the unscrupulous guilty parties.

Alas I believe we may have slightly gone off at a tangent. New pilots and the terms and conditions of their first job, or how they get it is not the only issue here. Maybe we should start refocusing some of this angst towards the companies selling hours at airlines, and the experienced pilots whom entertain such schemes. These experienced pilots should know better.

Many may disagree with my interpretation of the state of play, but I strongly believe the only way to stop pay-to-fly schemes is to stop it at the source. This will probably involve government and regulatory intervention.