PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Training Command Losses 1970s
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 23:36
Danny42C

johnfairr #1 and others

I was on control in the ATC Tower (800 yards away) at Leeming at the time of this accident (although, being in the Approach Room did not actually see it). As the (solo) pilot was killed instantly, the account which follows is based (essentially) on what eye-witnesses (chiefly the Runway Controller) saw , the rest has to be supposition. (I did not see the BoI Report).

There must have been a ferocious Westerly wind at the time, for the JPs to be blown off the main (16/34) 7500 ft runway, and so having to use the 4800 ft 13/31 (? - now closed) instead. There was a short extension on the outside of the taxiway (200 ft max at a guess) at the 31 end, but this extra length was not being used for take-off (although its use was made mandatory after the accident).

Nevertheless, from my own flying experience, I'm sure that this played absolutely no part, considering the strong headwind down the runway. Now the report I heard (which must have been from the Runway Control Corporal - and he was on the spot) ran like this:

He lined up and opened the throttle. The engine note was normal, but the aircraft appeared to be accelerating only slowly. This was on account of the headwind, of course, all previous JPs had done the same. I would guess that the airspeed was building normally, but of course the ground speed would appear to be increasing much more slowly, and this may have deceived him into thinking that the power was "down". (It's all "may" from now on - just my guess). And I don't know how many hours he had on the JP.

Well into the run he changed his mind and abandoned take-off. Local Control saw it and lifted the barrier for him to take if necessary. And then, unaccountedly, he changed his mind once more , opened the throttle and resumed the attempt to take off. Of course it was hopeless.

He got off, "wet-henned" over the barrier and up to (perhaps) 50 ft. Then it stalled, a wing (port, I think) dropped, he stall-turned and went straight in, nose first, into a small field just outside the boundary.

The Crash services were on the spot in no time, but it was no use. There was no fire, but the boy was dead. Another Controller and I went over later in the day to see if we could learn anything from the site. But it was clear; the whole cockpit section was destroyed: it was not survivable, he must have been killed instantly.

A pathetic second casualty; a cow lay dead only feet away. There was no sign of any injury, we concluded that the animal must have died of fright. And that's all I know.

MPN11, exMudmover and HughGw01 were at Leeming around that time, but I'm not sure about Sept. '69.

Danny42C