PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - windshear/TOGA
Thread: windshear/TOGA
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 22:58
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AirRabbit
Here is what I found by searching Boeing Flight Manuals for Automatic Windshear Recovery:

As I read this, it is not evident to me that this should be understood to be a “procedure” that is to be followed....
Boeing describes the Automatic Windshear Recovery as a Maneuver in the FCOM. It is quite clear on the procedures or actions to be taken. I am quite confident that if they didn't think it was a procedure to be followed, it would not be provided.

Originally Posted by AirRabbit
However, it does not indicate what happens or what should be done if the rate of climb does not increase … or if it begins to decrease.
Boeing is also quite clear in the FCOM about your concerns by stating,

"WARNING: *** Severe windshear may exceed the performance
capability of the AFDS. The pilot flying must be
prepared to disengage the autopilot and disconnect the
autothrottle and fly manually"

In other words, it is quite possible to have a windshear warning at a relatively higher altitude and stay on automatics. More severe stuff requires manual flying. All bases covered.

As a final add on here for anyone reading this thread.....

Second TO/GA push on the ground does nothing to increase thrust, therefore manual thrust lever movement is required. As soon a s airborne, the pilot can "terminate the HOLD mode and cancel any derate thrust limits by a second press of the TO/GA switch after liftoff."

Last edited by JammedStab; 17th Apr 2015 at 01:12.