PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - airlines who ask pilots to pay to fly !
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 22:55
Sprinkles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadets responsible?

flieng,

I think you've missed the objection. Your post isn't tosh, it's your statement that cadets or low hour'd guys straight out of flight school are responsible for the exploitative industry we find ourselves in that is tosh!

Seriously, what bearing do these low hour pilots have on airlines recruiting policies? What changes do they submit to the CEOs in a vain attempt said CEOs will actually action? Do these CEOs even give a about a 200 hour cadet straight out of flight school? Of course they don't!

Also if cadets are so responsible for the current exploitative industry why wasn't the industry like this 30-40 years ago when Hamble was popping out cadets every month? Supply and demand maybe?

If you just graduated CTC or Oxford with >£100,000 debt and the only job offer was with a LoCo but you had to fork out money for a type rating what would you do? Especially if there is no other opportunities. Do you seriously expect us to believe you'd rather work in Tesco as that's the morally correct choice?

You almost hit the nail on the head when you say low hour pilots have been a major part of the demise. Yes they may have been, but I again reiterate they are not responsible. They are simply profit centres for the likes of CTC and Oxford and now the airlines.

It is these schools and airlines whom are responsible. The cadets I'm afraid, have very little options or choice nowadays.

I'm afraid sir, you're using cadets as a scapegoat. Until demand far exceeds supply, which might never happen in euro land we'll simply have to fight the issue with the suppliers (training schools) and airlines directly.