PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Church Fenton
Thread: Church Fenton
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 11:10
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the rules are OHJ, that's what I do - before I upset anyone. So every time I pop into Sherburn, I do the full thing. My problem with it, is that if there is nobody about, at all, then why do I need to fly a complete arrival, when I could just as easy position onto final at a mile and land. I don't need to see the signal square as I've been told the runway, and it ties in with what the wind's doing, so I might as well just land. Obviously I maintain a good lookout, and listening watch, to make certain it would be safe to fly such an approach. You can clearly see from about 5 miles away any aircraft taxiing out, or holding etc, and will have built up a picture by listening as to who might be doing what. So if nobody is in the circuit, nobody is joining from anywhere else, and nobody is waiting to takeoff, then why can't I just get on the deck without adding another 3 minutes of flying time?

I think Sherburn's argument is that they wouldn't be able to change the judgement of pilots flying there, and you'd likely get a few people p*ssing others off by cutting in, and racing to get onto final. So a one size fits all approach covers them. I just think there could be some leeway, as in the real world, there doesn't seem much point doing a full overhead join when conditions, aircraft type and pilot experience/ability doesn't always warrant it.