PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Church Fenton
Thread: Church Fenton
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 09:07
ak7274

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I sound like I would fly angry?
Sorry if that seems to be the case, but I don't. However I believe if airfield rules dictate a circuit, who am I to change it, or indeed do something contrary to air law in not following airfield procedures?
If thinking that arriving at an airfield in any way I see fit because I think the circuit isn't busy works. I don't want to be there thank you.
Not angry at all. Just don't understand how a straight in or base join is acceptable just because a pilot on his/her way in can think this way.
I am thinking especially about non - radio. How would he hear a final call and how would the guy calling final know he was there?
Asking A/G if there is any known traffic may help when traffic is quiet and I have no issues at all with joining base or final if they answer "No Known Traffic" I know it's not correct, but......
I have heard many "Final" calls having called downwind only to find the "final" was from 6 or 7 miles out and the pilot didn't want to join the circuit because the active runway was directly in front of him. Do you not feel even slightly annoyed when this happens?
I also don't understand why an aircraft which is lowest in the circuit has right of way. If a circuit is posted as 1000ft downwind leg should be at a thousand feet. If an aircraft is behind me by a mile at 700ft and I am at 1000ft almost ready to turn base, should I extend my downwind or leave and rejoin? This is a genuine question and not intended to cause a furore as I have read the relevant section and have seen that the lower A/C does indeed have right of way.

Last edited by ak7274; 3rd Jan 2014 at 09:16. Reason: adding a question