PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building USA - (Master thread)
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 13:53
DeanKline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks Gents, some really useful stuff here!

Do you have or can you get the legal right to work in the US? If you can forget about the EASA stuff for now just concentrate on getting the FAA CPL/IR Multi.
Yes, i have dual-nationality and hold passports for both countries, so I CAN work in the States. I am, by no means adamant on staying in the Uk ( truth is, I cant wait to get out ) . In fact, i'd enjoy living anywhere that would allow me to fly - quite fancy seeing new places/people, but the States is where i will likely head back to, in the not-too-distant, for training and carrer prospects..

my initial plan was to continue working in the UK, accumulate a lump of savings, and then change £ to $ to take advantage of the exchange rate(more moneys = more flying time) and get some good time in!!
Would it be an idea to complete the EASA ATPL exams whilst still working in the UK (and saving for CPL/IR), or would you recommend i head Stateside, get on with the CPL & ME IR, finding some sort of low-pay job to build hours, whist studying the FAA ATP? Again, i have no real reason to return to the UK/EU (other than to visit my dear mother) , so is there any point in doing the EASA ATPL? seems a bit more comprehensive than the FAA syllabus!?
I dont suppose one could do the FAA ATP whilst in the UK either? just a thought.

thanks for the advice LAI - some good shouts there, particularly like the formation flying course idea !
i'll take note of these points youve made. I've got family all over the US, so that might just be reason enough to get some cross-country flying in and concentrate on Nav excercises, planning, VOR tracking, as well as visiting as many aerodomes as possible.

Man, just talking about it puts a smile on my face..

One question to add - what sort of jobs could one expect in a light aircraft? are you talking sydiving pilot, day trips, and the sort, or actual transport jobs? charter maybe?

Last edited by DeanKline; 2nd Jan 2014 at 14:11. Reason: question to add