PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - windshear/TOGA
Thread: windshear/TOGA
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 00:30
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AirRabbit
…and what if that instructor thinks he/she knows all there is to know about the specific issue in which you are interested, but does not admit it … or worse, does not know it? If you observe carefully you may be able to pick up on the first … but what if it is the second? Will you KNOW that what you see, hear, feel in that simulator is what you would see, feel, and hear in the airplane if the conditions were identical … OR would you PRESUME those stimuli will be the same? Why do I ask? What will you do if you are the pilot flying and the airplane initially gives you what you believe to be the same stimuli that you saw in the simulator?
It's a chance I'll just have to take. Thanks for the advice.

To be honest, I have flown 5 types with sims(and one other sim for a job interview) and not one flies like the real aircraft. Most had at least one characteristic that was appeared to be really off. Things such as extreme sensitivity in more than one type to strange visuals on V1 cuts to a really large pull force required to rotate.

But we have to make do with what we have I suppose. Based on this reality combined with your post, there is not much that we should be doing in the sim.

Oh well, I did my first flight on the line with no touch and goes for the last type despite the reality the fact that what I was seeing, hearing and feeling in the aircraft were not exactly the same as the sim. So, I think I'll try pushing the TOGA switch next time under the proper circumstances in the sim and take my chances of the potential future consequences.

I'm no sim expert but I believe the more unusual things like actual stalls and other things that the simulator were not certified for may not be very realistic at all. Especially in an old DC-8.

While a little off topic but I do remember reading that DC-8 crash report many years ago that you have mentioned. Improper stall recovery is what I remember. I believe they were in a nose down attitude but still stalled. Pulling on the control column were they not? Not very conducive to a recovery. Good point on the misleading sim stuff they experienced but a stall recovery is fairly straight forward. I'm sure Douglas has written down procedures, just like Boeing does as earlier mentioned by me. Somebody didn't follow them it appears.

I would suspect that with all these software updates we hear about on some types like Airbus that there could easily be some differences from sim to plane and plane to plane. Most types I flew had quite a few differences from plane to plane with various different models for pax, cargo and combi and previous owners differences from each other. Have survived so far. I think I will again despite trying to learn a bit more.

Last edited by JammedStab; 2nd Jan 2014 at 01:07.