PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1954 search for two missing RAF Canberra bombers en-route Momote to Kwajalein
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 00:18
Preon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just seen this thread which reminded me of a conversation with an ex - RAF Canberra pilot near Aldergrove Airport about 24 years ago, he was then a Captain with Inter European Airlines flying B.757 aircraft and close to retirement.

His first duty in the RAF on being posted to Canberra's B.2's in 1954 was to fly one of three Canberra's to the Pacific in order to monitor nuclear tests.
However once in the Pacific a Canberra and it's crew went missing no trace of them being found, followed by a second loss which thankfully was located, the crew having forced landed on an Atoll.
As the sole survivor of the flight it was a relief to establish the two aircraft had been lost as a result of corrosion in the generators on what was still a new frontline combat aircraft and then in full production.
I've never seen any previous account on these events and present my recollection of our interesting conversation as the 'bare bones' of these events.