PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 380 loses engine, goes 5000 miles
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2014, 22:25
PiggyBack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is this thread is still going on?

I am not a pilot but I am involved in the design of safety related systems. I take advantage of the strong safety culture and detailed analysis of incidents in order (I hope) to learn lessons that are generally applicable. Which is why I browse pprune. What I can't understand is why this thread is dragging on. Two basic things seem to be overlooked.

1. Safe is not absence of all risk. There is no system in which there is no risk whatsoever. Safety is normally defined as freedom from unacceptable risk. This may be subjective but it is grounded in the real world.

2. The best person to judge a situation is a trained person on the spot. Analysing decisions based on partial information afterwards is futile and criticism is inadvisable unless the facts are known and the decision concerned is clearly unreasonable from the information available at the time.

In this case the best placed person made a decision based on his analysis of the risks. I am sure this analysis included the nature of the engine problem and whether this problem made other engine failures likely. From an engineering perspective unless the nature of the failure was itself likely to cause other probems or indicative of a common failure I cannot see how this decision can be anything but reasonable. A culture in which decisions are needlessly second guessed and criticised undermines safety by inhibitting confidence to make necessary decisions.