PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2014, 18:14
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If taking the wrong taxiway is a commonly occurring error worthy of a pass by peers and management (and it really is, given certain circumstances), why is the majority of the focus of this discussion on taking the wrong taxiway? As I see it, there are two errors here, taking the wrong taxiway and then taxiing into the building. The latter is the incredulous and egregious error in my eyes, and one that begs the question of how this could happen. As crew members, we have all made mistakes, and yes, including taking the wrong taxiway, but I'll wager not many of us have taxied into a building.

The cure for this particular taxiway routing confusion is fairly simple, and has been over-discussed in previous posts within this thread. The cure for taxiing into a building by a professional flight crew, even though a very rare occurrence, may be more complex considering that generally accepted avoidance is to pay attention to what is outside the windows in the near proximity of the airplane.

I vote giving the crew a pass on the first error and imposing accountability for the second error...and to be fair, listening to their individual timelines prior to impacting the building. That's a story that I would like to hear.