PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2014, 16:42
Pinkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we're all missing the point on SA. Situational Awareness depends firstly on the information available and secondly on the interpretation of the information, modified by fatigue, confirmation bias, etc. etc.

This is not a simple case of taking a wrong turn or not taking a turn... this is a complex human factors event that needs detailed investigation and analysis to find out why an experienced crew ignored bright green centerline taxiway lights curving to the left on Twy Bravo to the T/hold on 03 to instead continue on Twy Mike.

Work out, given an average taxi speed and the distance, and the considerable visual field from the cockpit of a 744, what the time would be from the straight piece of Bravo when they could first see the curve to the turn. In order to understand why this happened we would have to assume that all three flight deck occupants had their heads down simultaneously for what.. 20 - 30 seconds?

Doing what? Simultaneously programming the FMS? Ordering their vegetarian meal for after take off? Give me a break.

I am willing to bet that in the darkness and with the signage available they never saw the turn, and I ask again whether we are certain whether or not the centreline lights were on prior to the incident. We have a pax witness that says they were on as they disembarked. Were they on before?

If a crew stuffs up, I have no problem with them facing the music. But I have frankly been appalled by the lynch mob mentality of some postings on this forum. The Australians have a saying relating to fairness: "give them a fair suck at the sauce bottle". Yes, the skipper is ultimately responsible - but the skipper is surely only as good at making decisions as the quality of information he or she receives. Before you start throwing rocks, give them a fair suck at the sauce bottle. Establish the facts - if not for this incident then to stop this near miss - in human terms - becoming another - perhaps fatal - event in the future.

Last edited by Pinkman; 1st Jan 2014 at 16:56.