PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - windshear/TOGA
Thread: windshear/TOGA
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2014, 16:30
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT?

Originally Posted by JammedStab
No, you are to believe that Boeing says that this is a procedure which I repeated. Nothing more and nothing less.
Just so I understand … you are saying (are you not) that Boeing has developed a procedure which pilots are perfectly welcome to use, and using this procedure will automatically recover the airplane from a windshear encounter, and, of course, you are aware that any procedure developed by Boeing, recommended by Boeing, and found in the Boeing operations manual, if used exactly as Boeing has recommended, will put Boeing directly in the sights of litigation should anything catastrophic occur … and Boeing is accepting this situation for windshear encounters. I just want to understand your comment.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the designer to accompany every flight that has windshear potential so no point bringing the subject up as it is not the basis for whether or not to be aware of manufacturers procedures and recommendations.
Well, I shouldn’t be terribly surprised to see that irony is lost on some.

It is quite possible that the sim could be different than the aircraft but I still think that useful information could be gained.
Once again … just to understand … you acknowledge that some things seen, felt, and/or heard in a simulator “could be different than the aircraft” but you are convinced that this “different from the aircraft” information is useful to you. Is that right? The point I was trying to make is that, indeed, sometimes there IS information contained in a simulator that is NOT like the airplane (which may result from its being improperly understood, improperly programmed, or completely absent in the simulator – meaning that the simulator WILL NOT act or respond like the airplane) – and I am telling you that I KNOW aircraft simulation, quite well, and I'm recommending that such differences be recognized and avoided at all costs – and if absolutely unavoidable, proper and complete instruction MUST be simultaneously accomplished to ensure that any incorrect information is NOT carried over into the operation of the airplane. In fact, I would suggest discussing such matters with someone exceptionally knowledgeable about and well versed in the operation of the airplane's systems and the impact of those systems on the airplane's performance, handling, and response ... and failing that, please discuss the legal implications involved when someone ignorantly does something in aviation … and I say this in the hope of ensuring the highest degree of safety possible.

If a certain procedure does apply to the simulator, I should think that there is a high probability that it will apply in the aircraft as well. But as you suggest, no guarantees.
I’m not sure how you can say that … no guarantees, but go ahead anyway? Please, re-read my response, above … and if that doesn’t do anything for you … I’d recommend reviewing the ABX DC-8 accident in Narrows, Va in December, 1996 … and if that doesn’t impress you, I’d recommend a vocation change.