PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP - post your questions here.
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2014, 16:29
MarkerInbound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anybody know if the new requirements of groundschool and simulator training thats about to come in will still be needed for someone doing FAA type rating training and ATP checkout?
Yes

Will the type rating groundschool and Sim training meet requirements or is it going to need to be a separate course?
In the 200+ pages explaining the Final Rule the FAA relates this to 135 and 121 operations. I haven't seen anything about 141 or 142 schools but I think the FAA would treat them the same. Remember that starting this coming August, you will have to complete the ATP CTP before you take the ATP written. The FAA says this traing must be separate from the training provided as 135 or 121 new hire training. What they do allow is if the air carrier provides the ATP CTP they can reduce some of the new hire training.

I'm thinking the same would apply at a 142 school for a Hawker or G-5 type. They could conduct an ATP CTP, send you to written testing center and when you come back, reduce some of the class time because they already covered the subjects. Bare in mind there will be a two year window until August 2016 where some ATP candidates may have completed an ATP CTP and some will have not so I don't think the training programs will change much until then.

Bottom line, if they is any chance you are going to try for a FAA ATP before August 2016, pass the written this July. You have 24 months from passing the written to completing the training and passing the checkride.