PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - windshear/TOGA
Thread: windshear/TOGA
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2014, 02:08
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
…there is an automatic windshear recovery system for the aircraft allowing the FD to command appropriate pitch and can be followed by the autopilot
Originally Posted by AirRabbit
…so, are we to believe that you would be perfectly confident in the airplane systems to the degree that you would allow the airplane to safely fly itself out of a windshear encounter? I think that doing so is very likely a result of either “over confidence” in the airplane systems or “under confidence” in the pilot flying … who do you know better … YOU … or the guy(s) who designed, developed, constructed, and installed that system … and how come he isn’t there with you when you have to make that decision?
No, you are to believe that Boeing says that this is a procedure which I repeated. Nothing more and nothing less. I don't think it is reasonable to expect the designer to accompany every flight that has windshear potential so no point bringing the subject up as it is not the basis for whether or not to be aware of manufacturers procedures and recommendations.

Maybe I'll just try a second TO/GA push in the sim.
Originally Posted by AirRabbit
Before you make any potentially life-altering decision on how to operate your AIRPLANE based on what you see, hear, and/or feel in a SIMULATOR, I would strongly suggest that you find out what kind of information was used to program that particular simulator for the specific conditions you desire to examine. The fact is that the simulator will do what it is programmed to do … and ONLY what it is programmed to do. Good input = good output … Bad input = bad output … and No input = potentially deadly output.
It is quite possible that the sim could be different than the aircraft but I still think that useful information could be gained. Which of course is why we use the simulator. If a certain procedure does apply to the simulator, I should think that there is a high probability that it will apply in the aircraft as well. But as you suggest, no guarantees.

As earlier stated, the procedure is to manually advance thrust levers so this is more of a learning a bit more exercise.

Last edited by JammedStab; 1st Jan 2014 at 02:20.