PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2014, 00:13
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Over page 'CM' said:
"Spaz,
You usually choose the articles about JS"F" you post rather carefully to shine good light on the programme. Have you not read this article or can you not recognize the stupidity of what it says? I'm not going to spend much time pulling it to bits, but here are a couple of howlers...."
My response not to the article in question but to the bit above from 'CM':
"'CM' cannot I not post articles that are neither fish nor turkey? Being a 65 year old F-35 NAFYOB I always thought that was possible. I can see there are many rivers to cross for both the F-35 family and the F-35C in particular, as described, along with development of the UCLASS. Yes some of these ideas have been discussed earlier along with the maintainability of F-35B/C stealth on carrier decks, so revisiting earlier discussion bits is not out of the question - for some.

Perhaps I misled earlier by stating that F-35C arrested landings were easily faked. Just use a roll-in arrest with a smoke machine or two and bobs my uncle. Anyway I like the meeting of UCLASS 'Noddddddy' with 'BigEars' F-35C as seen here: [just to get in a cartoonie before 'LO' does]"
Before responding to anything else I think I should explain the above. There is a perception that I am an 'F-35 fanboy' - hmmm. What I am is a gatherer of information in an effort to understand it and I welcome the excellent responses to the NavAv items on this thread from those who know it.

I take issue with the article critique as outlined by 'CM'; interested that it is seen in such a negative light. Manazir points to a possible future; but that future is uncertain; hence the use of 'hope' for a future UCLASS, which is still under negotiation as far as I can see in public information. The X-47B thread about recent UCLASS events seems to have become mangled. I could go back to post some of the missing recent news but as someone pointed out 'I was talking to myself', so I thought not to do that (my life is as short as anyone else). So I'm glad to post articles about the F-35 that interest me. If that seems to be more on the positive side - then so be it. It seems the negative side is well catered for here. NAFYOB=FANBOY whilst being 65 that term flatters me unnecessarily.

The rest is clear enough referring to an earlier discussion on this thread about F-35 stealth robustness and maintainability. Do I need to find it for you? UCLASS is in the X-47B thread (mangled at the end). The claim that a photo of a fly-in arrest recently was only a 'roll-in' was ludicrous - but you knew that. Many months ago when a video of an earlier fly-in F-35C arrest with the interim hook design was released I made a comment (tongue in cheek) that these things can be easily faked. I then posted a slow motion video of the same sequence to show this 'fakery'. Anything is possible I suppose.

As for the cartoonie of Noddy and Big Ears. It refers to the title of the piece under discussion '...Eyes and Ears of the Fleet'.

Now the critique by CM.... Perhaps assumptions have been made by 'CM' that I myself do not follow. I would have thought Majumdar has more or less accurately reported what RADM Manazir said. I would guess that the RADM was circumspect deliberately; and also hoped for certain future outcomes with UCLASS (yet to be decided). The USN plan is to populate their CVNs with a mixture of Shornets, F-35Cs and now UCLASS. So why not use them co-operatively? The discussion about no MADL for other aircraft is on this thread also, with a future possibility of a new network yet to eventuate, which will cater for the linkages, bearing in mind a group of F-35Cs in a daisy chain can pass MADL info back to rear echelon receivers.

I like that the RADM has acknowledged the work of the USMC with F-35Bs, the USMC will also fly F-35Cs from the CVNs, after the F-35Bs of the USMC have got going. Nice one. As for 'air dominance' that is the future for some Air Forces, such as the RAAF, in concert with our own Shornets/Growlers and whatever is left of the Hornets and the other networking assets. The US Navy, like the USMC, works with what it has - I see no F-22s for them or the RAAF.

And 'CM' why ask if you are not interested? I'm happy to humour myself - if no one else. At least there are no Turkey/schoolboy cartoons - a bit sad I know.