PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Economist book review - The Bombing War: Europe 1939-1945
Old 31st Dec 2013, 20:20
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
racedo:-
It was initially post war but to celebrate that well after the event when hundreds of thousands killed is looked at poorly.
I can't understand any of that, I'm afraid. Harris and his Command was dropped like a hot potato even as the war drew to an end, not only by the chattering classes, but disgracefully by Churchill himself who had presided over the campaign throughout, and even more disgracefully by that hot bed of intrigue and backstabbing, the RAF High Command.
As to "celebrate", who on earth would suggest doing that after so much sacrifice? One can be proud of that without celebrating it. The Bomber Command Memorial does not celebrate, Remembrance does not celebrate, but the duty done should be remembered with pride.
Germany had to be defeated and as soon as possible, for it were not then Europe and beyond might have remained under its cruel tyranny for a very long time (the thousand years promised?). It was defeated and I take pride in the generation that did that. You may not...