PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2013, 16:47
Jack1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone think there seems to be a mass overcapacity from Ireland to Canada? The country has gone from;

Aer Lingus After a near 40 year hiatus serving Canada, in which previously they served Montréal before continuing toward Chicago to now launching a new daily year-round route to Toronto in April 2014 (granted it reduces during Winter), surprisingly they are reporting excellent forward bookings.

Air Canada who used to serve Dublin-Toronto seasonally from May to October are now serving Dublin year-round with there ''Rouge'' brand from May 2014.

Air Transat serve Dublin and Shannon to Toronto, as well as Dublin to Montréal all seasonally and they've been here quite a while.

WestJet Finally a Canadian low-cost airline arrives with daily one-stop flights from Toronto to Dublin via St. John's from June to September and now are interested in Cork and Shannon.

I remember we had flyglobespan the Scottish low-co who previously operated from Dublin to a few Canadian destinations as well as a short-lived Liverpool-Knock-JFK route and I think Boston they served too. I can understand the demand pre 2008 - And I realise now there is further demand created through immigration to Canada.

However I can't help but think, the market could see over-capacity next year and rightly as EI-BUD points out a particular harp you can bet is watching cunningly with new aircraft arriving shortly. I'd welcome any new route, as long as the demand is founded - I'm yet to come across such demand from Cork.