PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Airport - Then & Now
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2013, 15:43
Airclues

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the early 60's I spent many happy weekends standing on the footpath that led from the original Airport Hotel and passed within a few yards of the threshold of runway 24. We would then cycle to watch the construction of the new terminal,
The passenger building was an old black hangar situated where T3 is now. Between this hangar and the 'new' terminal was a car park where you could get to within a few yards of the aircraft. It was possible to walk around the construction site at weekends and get very close to the aircraft. Sometimes the pilots would invite us to look round their aircraft.
The ATCO's were also very friendly with the small group of regular spotters, and often would invite us up into the tower (see photo). Nowadays it is hard to believe that there was absolutely no security.
When the new terminal was completed, the two piers were a fantastic place to watch the aircraft. It cost sixpence to go onto the roof and piers. In the winter one could stand by the big window at the front of the terminal. Spotters were welcome in the terminal then.
In 1969 I was proud to land a VC10 on runway 24 at Manchester. That was the start of over 30 years of operating VC10s, 747s and 744s into Manchester. I still love to go to the viewing park when in the area, although the terminal building is now a no-go area unless you have a boarding pass.
Happy Days!

The big windows at the front of the terminal can be seen here. Spotters welcome in those days.

MyAviation.net - Aviation Photo Gallery

Last edited by Airclues; 2nd Jan 2014 at 22:32. Reason: renewing photo