PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The golden rules - to be a safe pilot
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2013, 14:57
pitotheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flarepoint you are being ridiculed because you seem to be suggesting that even flying at cruise altitudes of 35-40,000 feet at a ground speed of 550 knots you are sitting on the flight deck with a VFR map nominating suitable off airfield landing sites even though you may not be visual with the ground. I am sure I have misunderstood the point you were trying to make. I still fly light aircraft and when I am flying around I am looking out the window for suitable landing areas not consulting a map.
When flying an airliner I will always have an idea of suitable airfields en route with 100 NM range rings around them as a guide to glide distance. When flying outside of Europe I will always have open at the correct place the relevant IFR chart and note the sector frequencies should I lose comms but if you still maintain that you do what I precised in my first sentence then I make the following conclusions:
1. Your company provide an infinite number of 1/4 or 1/2 mill charts or you fly over a very limited route network. You could perhaps have access to electronic charts.
2. After a long flight you would be mentally exhausted.
3. Your efforts at PNF or PF would be more productive in other areas.
4. You have little excess capacity/time to engage with your other crew members.
OR
You are not a commercial airline pilot (other than a very small local operator such as Loganair).
To answer the OP question. I think most of the posts so far have been pretty sound and are regurgetated lessons learnt from over 100 years of aviation. With regard to handling non normal situations I would add gather as much information as possible from as many sources as possible BEFORE making your decision and don't be affraid to review and amend your decision if things change. Another mnemonic
D Diagnose the problem
O Options generate
D Decide course of action
A Assign tasks and Actions
R Review decision
Happy New Year to all regardless the size of aircraft and area of the world you fly in.