PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2013, 14:30
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mr Un-Lazy Attorney

Let's see, 20-plus pages, lots of volleys in re what facts belong in, or out of, the relevant set known to legal counsel (in US at least) as "the" facts, also volleys aplenty over what is or is not a fact in the first place....let me ask my airplane-driver PPRuNe chaps a simple question: as this crew was taxiing this aircraft in this specific situation, what is the numerically stated probability they perceived - consciously - that their Situation Awareness had - suddenly / unexpectedly / inexplicably - degraded? What with uncertainties - here in this thread to date as and when one reads it cumulatively - about designation such as is it an apron or taxiway, is the Caution on the chart or not, does the PDF load in toto or not - and this crew quite evidently is plowing along, taxi, taxi, taxi, CRUNCH - what was the probability one of the aviators at the controls (or both) wondered or said, 'ah, wait a sec....' or the like? Look, please don't remind me that the CVR will be played etc, etc, blah. I'm asking, on the one band, EX POST, ya'all volleying like a tennis team over what is a relatively simple occurrence, while on the other hand, EX ANTE the pilots in the incident seemed to think it was 100 percent nominal. Or did they? And if not, what probability of error did they perceive? Yes, based on the facts - known, perceived, assumed, and/or guessed-at, at this time. It's a real-time business, right?