PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2013, 13:33
Pinkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. . . . . that is because TWY Mike does not exist. Apron Mike extends all the way TWY B. Apron Mike is panhandle shaped.
Gerald, nice try but you are wrong.

Please refer to the SA CAA media statement of December 23rd concerning the subject accident CAA Website
which contains the following:

"...According to the preliminary report, the SACAA was informed that the B747-400 aircraft was cleared for takeoff on Runway 03L. Further, it was confirmed to the SACAA that the air crew got instructions from the Air Traffic Control to taxi using taxi way B. The crew continued onto taxi way M which is narrower resulting in the aircraft impacting on an office building...."

If it looks like a taxiway, is used like a taxiway, quacks like a taxiway, nobody parks on it like it was an Apron and wasnt a taxiway, and the SA CAA call it a taxiway, then I think its a fair bet it is a taxiway.

Panhandle shaped apron. Eisshh. On the other hand I do agree that calling it part of the apron gets you out of the inconvenient truth that if it were a Taxiway it would be an ICAO Class B taxiway and there are class C jets parked on the Apron at the other end of Twy M. As Overrun said... I wonder how they got there?

Last edited by Pinkman; 31st Dec 2013 at 14:08.