PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rt Hon (?) George Galloway MP (Kelvin)
Old 6th Apr 2003, 09:40
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
Sunday Times - ‘Baghdad George’ faces expulsion from Labour.

GEORGE GALLOWAY, the pro-Baghdad MP, faces expulsion from the Labour party after urging British troops to disobey orders and branding Tony Blair and George Bush “wolves”.

The government and the party are determined to have their revenge on the maverick member for Glasgow Kelvin in a process that is likely to begin with the removal of the party whip in the Commons. That means Galloway will no longer be regarded as a Labour MP.

The removal of the whip will be followed by further disciplinary measures, with a reprimand and suspension likely to lead to a formal expulsion from the party. This would have to be approved by Labour’s national executive committee, chaired by Blair.

“We are going to get him, have no doubt about that,” a senior Labour source said yesterday. “When this (war) is over his feet won’t touch the ground. What he did is unforgivable.”

Galloway, nicknamed the “member for Baghdad Central”, also faces moves to prosecute him under the Incitement to Disaffection Act 1934. On Tuesday he urged British troops to refuse to obey “illegal orders”.

To add to Galloway’s woes, the outcry over his remarks has forced him to recruit bodyguards. “I have received a torrent of the filthiest, most foul abuse,” he complained. “My elderly mother has been besieged and my wife was imprisoned in her home. There have also been death threats.”