PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stall warning and when to panic
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2013, 11:27
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really dave the FI course is to teach you how to teach.

Most FII have thier own favourite exercises which you do multiple times to learn how to patter and destruct an exercise.

The favorites for my course were straight and level and effects of controls. I think I pattered 10 approaches on return to the field but never a circuit as such.

The course is only 20 hours flying so there isn`t enough time to do the whole syllabus.

In the past the zero to hero pilots wouldn`t go near instructing, these days they are chasing the jobs that the self improvers used to do as a matter of doing thier apprenticeship. Thus bring in all this airline guff into flying schools which they were taught in the expatation of going straight into the seat of an automated flight deck with someone that has a clue what they are doing in the LHS.

To be honest alot of the airline guff isn`t even industry standard its taken from BA sop`s from when the schools did the cadet courses. Give the CTC pilots there due the kiwi`s do seem to teach the sep syllabus better than the US trained pilots from the limited exposure I have had of them.

It depends which company you work for what gives the flight safety office kittens about. Some its normal to hand fly a visual some if you even suggest a visual never mind manually flown and you will be looked at as some sort of cowboy.

They don`t even know the book G they have been taught with the sole purpose of flying a 40 ton plus multicrew airliner which is pref A. There is a heap of stuff they do which is wrong but is deemed good habit forming for the time that they do fly the airliner. Unfortunately when they don`t go straight into a job they think that they way they have been taught is the way to fly a sep.

Last edited by mad_jock; 2nd Jan 2014 at 19:24.