PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stall warning and when to panic
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2013, 06:52
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The OP never did answer my original question about the nature of the stall warning - i.e. intermittent or blaring. Noting his location, I'm also reminded of the need for particular vigilance in NVFR flight in many parts of Australia. There are not always many visual cues and, indeed, the strip lighting can be basic to say the least. Before the thread got silly, Mad Jock correctly made the point that flying around with the stall waring blaring is bad form. To that I'd add that anything other than the gentle turn rates appropriate in instrument flying are not wise in the NVFR environment, especially in locations where you need to keep all your wits about you to avoid sensory and other traps.

A rider on some of the comments re stall warning devices concerns certified (VLA) vs LSA versions of the same aircraft. I'm amused to see that my certified aircraft boasts a stall warning vane, while its LSA stablemates assume that our recreational pilot colleagues can go hang (figuratively). I doubt they lose any sleep over the omission.