PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stall warning and when to panic
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2013, 22:59
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fireflybob
One question I often ask students/pilots is "Can I stall if I am diving vertically towards the ground?" (with model a/c in hand pointing vertically down!) The answers are quite illuminating since almost exclusively all their stalling training has been done from more or less level flight and/or modest bank angles.
Can I (the student) have a crack at answering that?

If you are diving vertically to the ground, and you pull up to quick, the AoA can be exceeded and you will stall?

In my head, I visualise it as this: diving vertically to the ground, relative airflow is also vertical. Pulling out of the dive quickly, relative airflow is still vertical, but you are becoming horizontal, therefore AoA may be exceeded?

As for turns, I guess the same logic applies.When turning, to keep the plane flying vertical you would have to pitch up? So a steep turn in a vertical dive could still result in a stall?

Your question poses and interesting point for me though. How much can you bank a plane without it turning, and how do you do it. Thoughts of aerobatics in head and how they do it. Clear gap in my knowledge here, time to go do some research. I am at work now, I really need to get a model for these moments, visualising it helps a lot.