PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stall warning and when to panic
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2013, 21:57
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mad jock
Its just part and parcel of the lack of attitude flying thats being taught.

They should add 2 circuits with all the instruments covered into the ppl test, that would sort alot of this pish out.
Guess what I am doing next weekend!! Circuits with no instruments! Cant go solo with no SPL (still waiting on CASA), so I am using the opportunity to fine tune my circuits since I still have someone sitting next to me. I asked the FI last lesson if we could go up and fly without any instruments, so I could try learn to see and feel airspeed and altitude with out looking at instruments.

Originally Posted by mad jock
Reckon that 800ft is some nosense to do with commercial stabilised approach gate at 500ft. Its guff what ever the reason.

BTW the tommy is quite happy at 55knts approach speed full flap for a short field landing.
I was taught to make the turn onto final at about 600feet. Also taught 65knot final with full flap (C172S), obviously dependant on conditions.. Oddly enough, if you drop much below 60knots in the c172, the tail feels like its sinking and plane pitches up.

FWIW, when I first started training, they tell you to set certain RPM and on downwind, base and final. Likewise, the tell you what airspeeds to achieve. I have since learned that these are only guidelines, and whist they are ideal, sometimes you need a bit more or less depending on conditions.

Anyway, sorry about the hijack. Learning lots from you guys and gals!