PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - stall warning and when to panic
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2013, 21:39
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is don't start the final turn below 800ft QFE.
Crikey! Even when I was a PPL stude back in 1978 circuits at Barton were 800' QFE. So by final turn one was down to maybe 500' max (I'd done the rote power, flaps, trim thing on base, and did it again on final).

Once I started to learn to fly into strips etc, height on final turn could be as low as you can go before the wingtip is in danger of hitting the ground!

Now obviously you won't be doing 20 foot final turns as a stude or a low hours PPL... but 800 feet? That's just silly in a little aeroplane (unless there's some local noise rule).

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Shaggy, read your post./...it does nothing to increase my understanding.
A wing stalls at a certain AoA of course, but it also is most certainly 'related' to airspeed
You seem to be forgetting how a stall warning vane actually works
There's a relationship between IAS and stall, but it's not in any way reliable for the reason I give (re-read the post). 0 or 140 knots, the stall being at 140! How inconsistent is that? Yes, that was in aeros, so an extreme example.. but it demonstrates the point and the wing has no idea whether it's doing aeros or just circuits.

How do you think a stall warning device works?

No, I haven't forgotten, but your post makes me wonder if you ever knew how it works? If you think it's triggered by IAS, for your own safety go read 'Stick & Rudder' before you become a statistic!

Whether it's a vane or a 'whistle' type of warner, it's triggered by AoA!

Last edited by Shaggy Sheep Driver; 30th Dec 2013 at 22:45.