PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2013, 14:55
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ORAC and Others,

I try to be specific on this thread, but sorry if I didn't make myself clear in the previous posts.

The figures I gave reflected the original requirements for embarking F-35B on the LHD 'Wasp' class. (The aft elevator I mentioned was on the earlier 'Tarawa' class LHD). I don't think I mentioned Spanish Navy numbers, but I know that earlier posts did. The 6 aircraft set would be part of a larger Air Wing comprising V-22s, AH-1Z and UH-1Y and CH-53E. Those other aircraft, as much as the ship, limited how many F-35Bs could be embarked.

The 22 F-35B number on the 'jeffhead' site you linked to was referring to a proposed 'Sea Control' mission using the 'America' class LHAs, which are a good bit larger than the LHDs, with a longer and wider deck, and a full length hangar (but no well deck). This mission would add only 6 MH-60s to the Air Wing complement. (The site is a little inconsistent in the numbers of RW for this 'Sea Control' Wing) A more 'normal' wing would use 10 F-35Bs (from the same site). This is what I'd expect from a larger ship.

The larger the ship (like the America) the more aircraft can go on board. The smaller, the fewer. As ever, Air Wings will be tailored and built to meet the specific mission. One thing I think can be expected is that the USMC will try to exploit the F-35B's capabilities as fully as possible with the ships they have. This will very probably involve developing new CONOPS and operating techniques, and Air Wing numbers will probably change with them.

Best regards as ever to all those working to deliver 'air power' from the sea,

Engines