PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Maintenance - 50 hr check
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2013, 10:51
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Equipment & aircraft type knowlage ?

The biggest problem with doing a 50 hour check is not the inspection but what you find on that inspection, established private owners like Bose-x say they can do a 50 hour check in a morning, this is simply not true as the inspection plus oil & filter change as well as brake linings, AD's & SB's if required take a lot longer than a morning.

It is my suspicion that the 50 hour that Bose-x is doing is only an oil/filter change as well as a bit of lubrication, the other items required are done on an opertunity basis each time he flys the aircraft with a bit of tinkering as a carefull owner would, Bose-x undoubtedly maintains his aircraft well, it is his accounting for time spent maintaining it that I think is suspect !

Returning to a 50 hour on the Arrow off the top of my head you will need a Torque wrench, oil filter socket, spark plug socket, brake re-lining tool, right angle grease gun, compressed air, oil filter splitter, the correct grade of grease for the airframe, Prop, oil filter washer, brake pins Ect. A second grease gun if the prop is a type that requires lubrication, locking wire, hydraulic fluid for brakes & landing gear. You should also have a took kit with a good selection of American spanners & sockets as well as the normal hand tools.

Parts required, oil filter, scavenge filter crush washer, brake linings & rivets,air filter, and may be depending on inspection Vac system main and regulator filter.

Having delt with the tooling you need the aircraft maintenance manual and most important some trainning from someone who knows the aircraft type, it will take all day to do the check the first time providing you don't find anything wrong.... Remember the aim of inspecting aircraft is to find things that are wrong on the ground before you find them in the air.