PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2013, 09:08
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO:

Maintenance on the back of a flight deck?

Err...yes, actually. That's part of the thing called naval aviation. The F-35 has been designed expressly to be 'operable and supportable' from an LHD, and the facilities on those ships are really quite limited. That fact drove a number of design decisions on the aircraft. One of the areas most impacted, as I've posted before, was the whole area of LO maintenance.

Again, I'm not sighted on figures and numbers (and couldn't share them if I was) but I can state with some certainty that the LO schemes applied to the F-35 are some years on and quite different to those used on the 'legacy' LO aircraft such as B-2 and F-22. Most of those differences were aimed at providing the required supportability.

Will supporting an F-35 on the deck of any ship be a challenge? Yes. Can it be done? I think yes, having done that sort of stuff for some years. Can the FAA do it? Yes, just give them the tools and freedom to do the job.

LO, I don't expect you to agree with me - that's fine and good, it's a free forum. But I do sincerely hope that you don't think I'm a 'fankiddy forum buddy'.

Best regards as ever to all those who know something about naval aviation (and those who want to learn)

Engines