PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2013, 05:54
Romulus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to run for a bit so a broad answer to those asking about AJ and Co strategy - please note I have previously stated, including in this thread, that they are not worth their salaries. I cannot explain their thinking becuase it is not evident, and worst of all it appears to be inconsistent.

In any corporation consistency is key, a very clearly defined path for all to see, regardless of whether they agree with it or not, will at least give a sense of purpose. I'm not sure AJ has got that or if he has he certainly hasn't communicated it well.

It must include the bad news. Set out your goals no matter how much they hurt e.g. "The global benchmark for AMEs and LAME's per aircraft in a full service environment is X and Y, we aim to achieve this by XX/YY/ZZZZ and yes, there will be job losses totalling Z, we will be providing full support for people who will be leaving us."

Give people the honest facts, no matter how unpalatable, and they can plan to deal with it. Uncertainty is a killer.

And then do it.

Look for efficiency opportunities in non operating environments eg how many training schools does QF have? How many MCCs? How many layers of redundancy in every environment? How can we simplify processes without losing efficacy?

And one of the best ways to find that last one is to ask the staff who do the job. Get to know your people and establish that whilst you are not trying to be their friend you will always be friendly and totally honest and build from there. A lot of people won't like you, and that's fine, you're not there to be liked. You're there to do a job. If you can't put aside the need to be liked then YOU need to reevaluate your position as a manager.

Anyhow, have to run, apologies for not individually replying to all.