PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2013, 04:07
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I saw the details of this incident, I realized that this could have happened to me. I had read recently of an A380 in Brisbane I think where they continued past where they were supposed to turn to the takeoff runway.

After reading that thread, I have tried to look at taxiway charts more closely for the briefing to see if there are similar traps.

Saw one at Schenzen the other day for the departure runway. It has two taxiways running parallel to the runway. If on the closer one, you likely can't go wrong because at the end of the taxiway is the 90° turn toward the runway threshold. But the further away parallel continues past the taxiway that takes you to the threshold. So it was briefed that this is a "threat" if we get the further away parallel. A similar thing can be done at JNB for the incident taxiway for what would be in this case, a trap that will present itself during taxi.

Also found myself taxiing on a dark night on a dark taxiway recently at a familiar airport just staring at the centreline while taxiing. Had to remind myself the obvious. That with a 213' wingspan, the aircraft has lots of overhang beyond the taxiway edge. Who knows if some construction equipment could be hiding nearby improperly parked or some other vehicle. Airports with snow can have improper snowbanks. And if on the wrong taxiway by accident, we can see what might happen.

So the bottom line is, look around not just straight ahead. If doing heads down stuff, an occasional look can still be made outside or the aircraft stopped. If it is very dark, how about landing lights briefly on for a quick better look-ahead(around). Nothing says that you must only have the taxi light on.