PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Incident at Johannesburg
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2013, 03:05
PukinDog

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts
kungfu panda
pukinDog- Your assumption is that we are all perfect.
On the contrary, I certainly do not make such an assumption. It's because we aren't perfect that due diligence as professionals is required at all times when we're doing what our ATPLs authorize and say we're able to do. Like it or not, strap on an airplane and we're held to that higher standard by everyone else even if you don't do it for yourself.

To me it is irrelevant whether it was notamed or on the chart.
Frankly, if you're a pilot that's one of the more troubling statements I've ever read on this site, and on so many levels. Just curious, with this outlook how do you manage ACN/PCN issues? How do you know you have enough runway? We transpose limits/performance issues for our particular aircraft over airport limitations/restrictions all the time and derive what's do-able from those charts/notes/NOTAMS.

When planning the lighting or signage it has to be considered that crews will miss exits if not properly indicated, especially at night in a poorly lighted area.
Are you suggesting that there was no taxiway line combined with signage indicating where they were supposed to go in order to get to the runway, or that the runway sign wasn't in view before the missed turn from their vantage point of the cockpit?

I can not understand the reason why the airport authority would not make it very clear that taxiway Mike was unusable by aircraft of a certain wing span especially after they have had previous incidents. They clearly did not respond to those previous incidents which to me is criminal negligence
Despite your insistence to the contrary, charts/notes/NOTAMS are indeed a way airport authorities make such things clear.

What if Mike didn't/doesn't even have blue taxiway edge lights. Would the absence of something that obvious be enough of an indicator to you?

It's hard to put a finger on just what your expectations are. Given that you believe charts, notes, and NOTAMS are irrelevant, guidance to where you are cleared-for isn't enough, do you expect warning signs or something akin to a ski resort notifying those who can't follow a trail map they're about to go out of bounds into avalanche country? Please explain in more detail exactly what you expect airports around the world to do for you?